Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Litany of the Lord's Prayer

A picture hangs from my stepmom's wall, written in calligraphy by my mother's hand.  I was struck by the words of the titled 'Litany of the Lord's Prayer' with the initials C.S.J.P. (I do not know the author)

Litany of the Lord's Prayer

I cannot say OUR
If my religion has no room for other people and their needs.
I cannot say FATHER
If I do not accept others as brothers and sisters in my daily life.

I cannot say WHO ART IN HEAVEN
If all my interests and pursuits are earthly things.

I cannot say HALLOWED BE THY NAME
If I who am called by His name, do nothing to praise His name.

I cannot say THY KINGDOM COME
If I am unwilling to give up the “good” of my selfishness and accept the reign of God's love.

I cannot say ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN
Unless I am truly ready to give myself to His service here and now.

I cannot say GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD
If I am lazy and expect “handouts” or if I continue to ignore the needs of my brothers and sisters.

I cannot say FORGIVE US OUR DEBTS AS WE FORGIVE OUR DEBTORS
If I continue to harbor a grudge against anyone or refuse to forgive them.

I cannot say LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION
If I deliberately choose to remain in a situation where I am likely to be tempted.

I cannot say DELIVER US FROM EVIL
If I am not prepared to fight against the evil in my life and injustices in the lives of my brothers and sisters.

I cannot say THINE IS THE KINGDOM, THE POWER, AND THE GLORY
If I do not listen to God and His way, if I fear what neighbors and friends may say or do, if I seek my own glory first.

I cannot say AMEN
Unless I can honestly say also “Cost what it may, this is my prayer.” Yes Lord, I am for You too!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this, I have been searching for this for many years. I needed it today and decided to try again, and here it is. Thank you. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete