Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chaper 5 INITIAL CONTACT

it's TRUE IT'S TRUE! your first greeting leaves a huge impression!!!

I'm sure as you think about times that you had your first encounter with someone that had a positive, sincere greeting you may get a smile on your face or a warm fuzzy inside. I have thought about people like that and wondered if people have that same response the first time I greet someone. Some folks I know say that it isn't their 'gift' to greet as they are shy or bashful.

The author tells of the friend that made a point of learning how to greet, to be mentor by an older gentleman. I would contend that we have either 'learned' to be someone that can greet by example or not greet by example. But as the author points out it is the Christians 'way of life' to greet each other.

page 61- the author says that the beginnings of a relationship can vary from culture to culture but for all it's really starts with the sincere greeting.

Jesus engaged the conversation with a question that was out of the ordinary; catching his visitor totally off guard.

I was thinking about the way I try to greet people. I think it may depend on where I am, who I'm around and what's going on. The saying "How are you doing?" seems to be leaving the culture of today; instead you may hear, "hey" "what's up" or even a grunt! Whatever the greeting, they all seem to lean towards not being really wanting to know. BUT, I remember the first time someone greeted me with the right hand shake followed by the left hand on top of my right while looking me in the eyes and saying, "hello". That was different! It was almost as if though they really meant it!!!

It is greetings like that that gets my attention and introduces me to someone that has a concern when he/she asks me a question. Our greetings can be looked at like being the first step of ministry to those around us. We will either represent ourselves as open and accepting or closed and distant to wanting any type of relationship.

Imparting a Blessing- page 63

Although practised in the biblical times, it does seem a bit different in today's culture. I have a friend that will always ends our conversations with- 'blessings friend'. As good as I think that sounds, it sometimes bothers me- because.. . .. it's different! I wonder- can he do that! Can we 'give' blessing to each other? Undoubtedly the author has given many examples of doing that very thing- but they were biblical dudes!

Guess Who's coming to Dinner? page 64

Eating together has been a long time Baptist tradition! It was interesting that the author didn't really mention the church dinners or fellowships but rather opening one another homes to each other- any time. I relate to this, I love unplanned meals, visits, and company! As the author points out, it is the openness to allow people to see us as we are that transforms a relationship in to a true friendship. If people see your house with dishes in the sink, that's OK! really, it's ok!

Deeper Still page 65

There is nothing better than going on a mission trip for a week or two with new couples or families! When you return you will know them better than you could ever get to know them at home with our busy schedules. It's the hours together that allows to see each other for real.

I remember getting activated to Desert Storm. Our reserve unit of 50 people were united with over 1200 people to create the Fleet Hospital that we served. The initial activation was in New Jersey. We were given assignments with different people, did different activities with each other and played war together. During those initial 10 days the mask of fakiness fell off and people began seeing each other who they really were. Thus the same for any 'group' of people that get together.

Leaving Room in the Margins page 66

margins in life- "they fill up every available space with job, family responsibilities, and recreational pursuits and have nothing left in the reserve for unexpected crisis or opportunity."
WOW- the was a shot between the eyes- been there and done that- not a pretty thing! Being the social butterfly (or moose) like I am, when I book myself so tight that there is no breathing room I get frustrated and discouraged.

The author posses that we purposely pray about our schedules- what a bizarre concept! Ah, but I know that! He suggest that if we are too busy to have folks over for dinner once in a while than we might be a bit too busy!

I appreciated his thoughts about finding time with friends at the most unusual times. I enjoy asking people if they want to go to the store with me, have coffee with me, travel to see my mother with me- I just like being around people [or it could be i don't like being by myself- different subject different time!].

You Never Know.....

"Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angles without knowing it" Heb. 13:1-2 That's a tough verse! I can not think of one time that I have invited a total stranger into our home for dinner. Is that like picking the guy up off the Broadway Extension Bridge to bring home for dinner?

This chapter has brought home the importance of the greeting and the hospitality of beginning are relationship. These two acts will begin a relationship quicker than any, I would imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment