Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Vid Preachin'

The Regional Campus will have live music and primarilly video preaching. The sermons will not be simulcast / satellite broadcasted (holy smokes! you would not believe how expensive that is!). The sermons will be in fact a DVD of the previous weeks sermon, in other words, a week delay.

I have received some comments and questions in relation to 'satellite' preaching or showing sermons on DVD. Hopefully, I can explain clearly . . . or maybe not :-)

"Why video preaching? If live music is important, then why not live preaching?"

This truly revolves around good stewardship of resources. With a teaching team, the sermon preparation is not as taxing on any one individual. It becomes a shared opportunity. Vernon and Merle do a wonderful job with this currently. PLUS, those shared resources then free me up to oversee groups and spend more focused time leading the Regional Campus ministry team.

"But Stephen, I've heard you preach. How come you are not going to be preaching?"

During special events, vision casting, and periodically during the year, I will be sharing with the teaching team.

"A week delay. Won't that seem like 'leftovers'?"

Actually, with multi-site across the nation, many of them do a week delay. This allows editing time (if need be), plus prep time for the next week (make sure the copies work, etc). Many of the other multi-sites stated that this was a major question, but as things started, no one noticed or were concerned about it.

"I don't know if I would connect with video"

Good statement. I do not know for each person individually, but in talking with KC multi-site campus pastors, all of them stated that really became a non-issue PLUS many like having the video. The important thing about connectivity relies upon the campus pastor - my role. As I share openings and closings with the congregation, I hope to share our heart and passion for people and God's desire for them. Connectivity will also be an important part of everyone at the Regional Campus. Realistically, every member is a missionary to the community, and it will be up to all of us to connect with our 'company' from the community.

I hope that you will see that having Video will be fun. If you are not for sure, I recommend that you just try it out for 4-6 weeks and please let me know. I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment